medical news today

Health Information

Google Search

Monday, March 26, 2012

Smoking habit snuffed out with help of anti-smoking clinic


Highlight Image 
GEORGE TOWN: Adnan Bidin, who puffed away for almost 35 years, never thought that he would ever quit smoking.

“I tried many times to quit but each attempt was less successful than the last,” said the 56-year-old who used to smoke between 20 and 30 sticks a day. He had his first stick at the age of 21.


However, the tide has turned for the Customs officer, who has been smoke-free for over a year now, after he visited the Penang General Hospital's anti-smoking clinic in Nov 2010.

“At first, it was a bit hard as I felt slightly dizzy and experienced anxiety but the clinic staff assured me that it was only the withdrawal symptoms and urged me to keep fighting my addiction.

“Through proper techniques learned at the clinic, I have finally stopped this harmful-habit for good. It is not only beneficial for my health but my pocket as well,” he joked.

Security supervisor Kama Maharudin, 31, who started the habit while in school, said he used to smoke a minimum of 30 sticks a day at the height of his addiction before quitting.

“I wanted to stop smoking years ago, but the need to protect the health of my family spurred me to finally quit.

“Now, not only has my stamina improved but my breathing difficulties have gone away for good,” he said, adding that he used to smoke outside his house to protect his wife and children from second-hand smoke.

The clinic's health education officer Alfian Md Zin said having the will to stop smoking was the first step towards kicking the habit.

“Our aim is to not only help smokers quit but ensure that they remain abstinent.

“We receive an average of 35 patients every month with 30% to 40% of them remaining abstinent in the long-run,” he said. The clinic was established in 2000.

The clinic, he added, would arrange for follow-ups spanning several months for patients who had quit smoking.

“This is to ensure that the patient does not fall back into the habit.”

0 comments:

Followers

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Free Auto Malaysia Backlinks

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP